Thursday, May 22, 2014

Czech Goulash

I have a great affinity for "Czechoslovakian" cuisine or now referred to as the Czech Republic. Perhaps because some of my ancestors lived in that region. I have a postcard and letter that were sent to my maternal grandpa by a cousin written in Czech. I'm sure he never spoke that language, just German when he was younger. So after quite a few different attempts, I think I've come up with a recipe that really works well for me. I know a lot of people use ketchup, but the key ingredient I found was ground caraway seeds. That's the flavor that I'm sure was missing from the different restaurants we ate at in Prague and Bratislava. So here it is: and I'm using an electric pressure cooker because it will get done a whole lot quicker 2 pounds of stew meat - I used beef, but any meat protein would work well here oil salt & pepper 1 onion, sliced 2 Tbl sweet paprika 2 tsp hot paprika 1 tsp marjoram 1 tsp ground caraway seeds 2 Tbl flour 2 Tbl tomato paste 1 cup beef broth Heat oil in pot. Add beef in batches. You don't want it overcrowded or it will steam your meat (that happens later in the process). We want a nice sear on this. Sweat onion until translucent. Add all your spices and stir and minute or so to let them bloom. Now you can add the flour, tomato paste and stir again and cook for a minute or two to cook out some of that flour. If it's too thick, add a little bit of the broth. Now add beef back to pot along with any juices. Pour in beef broth and stir again. Place lid on pressure cooker and set on high pressure for 20 minutes. Once pressure has been attained, you can start on your starch. I made spaetzle with ours and they were great! When the meat is done, do a natural release on this. If you do a quick release, the meat will seize up and be tough. Carefully remove the lid. I usually offer this up family style and suggest to my guests that they use the starch as a carrier and get plenty of the sauce. Bon Appetit! Chef, Please!

No comments: