Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Castroville, California

We spent the Labor Day weekend in California and the weather was great!  Much warmer than we anticipated.

There were several highlights of the trip...hiking in Santa Cruz, a great dinner in Oakland at Bay Wolf with our friend Susan, a wonderful market near Moss Landing where I just HAD to get these wonderful artichokes...3 for $5.

This photo sort of gives you a better perspective as to the size of these meaty chokes...I have what's referred to as "piano fingers" (yes, I do play) and wear a size 7 1/2 ladies glove.

Our favorite restaurant was in a tiny town off Hwy 1 called Pescadoro.  In it, we had a delightful lunch at Duartes .  Our appetizer what a deep fried calamari that was crisp, not fried and very tender.  It appeared that they pounded the rings flat.

Next, our waiter brought us a sampling of the artichoke soup as well as the Anaheim pepper soup.  Dan actually preferred the pepper soup, so we shared a bowl of that.

We enjoyed a bottle of Kenwood Rose with our meal which I've never seen here in Illinois.  As you can see from the photo, we had a very cozy corner to sit in.

For our meal, Dan had the sole and I had the sand dabs.  Both entrees were enough for at least another diner.  Apparently, Dan has now decided that he likes Swiss Chard which I will be making for him in the future.  I think I'll saute it with some olive oil, s & p and a bit of balsamic vinegar.  Quite easy and great source of Vitamin K.

Oh, and both the soups were a cream soup...but not gloppy like some.  Just a very nice texture and mouth feel.

1 comment:

Alisa said...

I love artichokes and I like that big one.I saw your blog from the foodie blog roll and I like what you have here.if you won't mind I'd love to guide Foodista readers to this post.Just add the foodista widget to the end of this post and it's all set, Thanks!